Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pakistan finally admits !!!!!

Pakistan was holding in custody the ringleader and five other suspects in the conspiracy behind a militant attack that killed 179 people in Mumbai, the top Pakistani interior ministry official said earlier this evening. "Some part of the conspiracy has taken place in Pakistan," Rehman Malik, adviser to the prime minister on the interior, told a news conference, detailing how the gunmen had sailed from Karachi to carry out the attack on the Indian financial capital between November 26-28.

India has maintained the plot was hatched in Pakistan, and has pressed for forceful follow-up by Pakistani authorities against militants belonging to Laskhar-e-Taiba, a jihadi group it says was responsible. Tensions have been running high between India and Pakistan since the attack by 10 gunmen on India's financial capital last November, though fear of a conflict between the nuclear-armed neighbors has receded in recent weeks.

Tracing telephone calls and bank transfers had led to the capture of a key figure in the conspiracy, Hammad Amin Sadiq, Malik said. "He was basically the main operator," Malik said, adding that his interrogation led to the raid on two hideouts, one in the port city, and one two hours outside."We have located those locations which were used by the terrorists before launching themselves," Malik said."They had some kind of training, they went into ocean," Malik said, saying they had sailed from Karachi."Some of the accused who have been arrested, they have given us the full rundown."

Malik said the breakthrough in the investigation had resulted from tracing the fishing vessel used by the militants, purchases of equipment like life jackets and the engine for the rubber dinghy that militants came ashore in Mumbai.

Rehman said Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah, two members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, were still in custody.He said two other men being held were Khan and Riaz, withholding their full names so as not to compromise the investigation.One of those arrested, identified as Javed Iqbal, was lured back to Pakistan from the Spanish city of Barcelona, Malik said.

Investigators had also discovered some funds transferred from Italy and Spain were used to finance the attack, and Austrian telephone sim cards were used. Malik spoke too of a link, possibly an Internet domain, to Houston in the United States.Malik said investigators had been unable to confirm the identities of the nine gunmen killed in the attack, though Pakistan has confirmed Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, the gunman caught alive, was a Pakistani.

Finally Pakistan admits that Kasab is a pakistani and the the plot was hatched in pakistan. Even after admitting all these they have just filed a FIR against these conspirators and said in order to prosecute these terrorist they need further evidence fron India. Trying to put ball back in India'a court they have put some 30 questions along with the report which they insist that India must answer for the investigation to continue.Indian Foreign Ministry spokesman Vishnu Prakash said the Pakistani report would be studied before any reaction was given.